Volunteer with SURJ Sacramento
SURJ Sacramento is 100% volunteer led and we are constantly in need of more help keeping the chapter up and running and accomplishing our goals.
If you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the chapter, but you want a role, these are some of the ways you can be involved:
- Speaking at movie night
- Event volunteer/Attending events as support
- Attending City Council or Sacramento Police Review Commission meetings and reporting back on what came up (we would like to have a consistent presence at these)
- Asking friends and family to give money or come to an event
- Court support & press conference attendance (we would like to have a consistent presence at these)
- Keeping our website calendar up-to-date with events in the area
If you have a little more time you can give to the chapter, here are some roles that are a little more involved:
- Core Group Meeting Lead
- Facilitate Study & Action
- Website Manager
- Fundraising host
The SURJ Sacramento Core Group is a group of central members that meet every other week to work on projects and planning . All the events, workshops/educational offerings, and community meetings are coordinated and run by Core Group members. We also coordinate our members, asks from our partner organizations, and run our social media.
If you want to go all-in we first suggest you start attending our Core Group meeting. These meetings are typically held at a member's house, include dinner, and run about two hours. This is the group where we do the bulk of our planning and behind-the-scenes, back end work . We also use it to guide the work of the chapter. Within this group we need folks who can do or are willing to learn to do the following:
- Marketing- we are particularly in need of someone who has marketing experience and can help us get SURJ Sacramento out there in the community so we can build membership and mobilize folks around our goals
- Manage our Action Network- this is the platform we use for email communication and online fundraising and could be used for ticketed events
- Build an accountability partnership - if there's an organization you want to partner with, you can be the one to reach out and see if we are able to take on requests from them
- Develop educational offerings/workshops
- Member Outreach
- Social Media
- SURJ National Liaison
- Donor Network
We are also open to folks bringing new ideas, projects and partners to the chapter. The Core Group would be a good place to discuss this. We do ask you to recognize that we are currently a very small group operating at capacity and are in need of filling some basic roles to maintain our current goals and meet our partner's requests, so be prepared to put in the work to bring your projects and ideas to life.
If you're interested in any of the roles listed above and want to know more about what they would entail, what we have in mind for the folks that fill them, or simply want to attend one of our Core Group meetings to get a sense of whether or not it's a good fit for you and what you can commit to right now, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can get you the date for the next meeting and/or discuss getting involved.